I've been noticing some promotion of these Sustainable Energy Bike Tours from the Portland Peace and Justice Center on various LJ communities I belong to. I love the idea of this tour which has such a great educational value to it. It reminds me a bit of Global Exchange (founded by Medea Benjamin) trips with a more environmental twist.
The tours start in the summer, giving plenty of time to save up. They'd also make great Christmas gifts to friends that would like to live a greener lifestyle. This is something that I'd love to save up to do, possibly for summer 2007.
They are giving away a tour as part of a promotion. Visit the link above to enter.
Here are some of the bullet points of the tours:
- Study and apply the philosophies of permaculture, alternative building, appropriate technology and sustainable energy.
- Through inspiring hands-on service projects with leaders of the global sustainability movement, contribute to the communities you visit.
- Participate in a traveling community of cyclists coming from a variety of backgrounds with a shared longing for a better world.
- Explore some of the most beautiful places in Oregon while learning about natural history, deep ecology, and environmental ethics.
- Observe local economics projects and grassroots democracy struggles in places through which you travel.
- Gain a deeper understanding of how organic food is grown and distributed by talking first hand with the people who raise the food.
- Spend time with Native American communities, work with salmon restoration and study indigenous building practices.
- Learn about nutrition, health and fitness through long-distance cycling while visiting beautiful public lands and gaining first-hand experience in low impact camping..